Sunday, August 09, 2009

A day in the ER

I took the kids to church solo today. It's Bryan's weekend to work Sat nights, so he sleeps Sunday. After we got home I made Mady a jelly sandwich. About 20 minutes later she started screaming that her stomach hurt. It kinda freaked both Bryan and I out. She was in so much pain she could hardly breathe. So we took her to the ER. They did some x-rays and a urinalysis. She has been going potty a lot more often lately, and having at least 4 accidents a day. She had a urinalysis done last Wed when we went for her well check for preschool. Both were negative, but they are doing a culture just to be sure. The x-ray showed a few large gas bubbles in her colon. Todays urinalysis showed that Mady had sugar in her urine. He ordered a finger stick blood sugar and it was normal, but it had been at least 4 hours since she had eaten anything. Mady is at a higher than average risk of having diabetes since most of my mom's family has it, Bryan's dad does, and I had it while pregnant with her. The weird thing is, that the thought has crossed my mind several times in the last few weeks. I'm going to see if I can find my testing supplies and I'll check her at home a bit and see what it says. If they are higher than normal I willc all the dr and set up an appointment. I so hope she doesn't have diabetes.

No comments: